Know the risk factors for the development of Alzheimer’s disease:
- Increasing age is the primary risk factor for developing Alzheimer’s disease
- Genetics (runs in families). There is a certain gene, apolipoprotein E (APOE) that is associated with late-onset Alzheimer’s disease. Other genes have been associated with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease.
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
Stay mentally active:
- Play board games
- Play a musical instrument
- Do activities that require “brain power”
Get physically active:
Stay socially active:
- Talk with friends and family
- Join in on group activities (such as worship services, exercise classes, choir, book clubs)
- Follow the Mediterranean or DASH diet or another healthy diet that includes antioxidants.
- Consume alcoholic beverages in moderation